Spring clean your Mindset
As we say goodbye to winter, we can look forward to the blossoming of all things new and fresh. The perfect occasion to clean out cupboards and throw out the broken and discarded. Clear out all the deadwood of winter in the garden and find joy in the spring shoots and new growth.
Why stop there, though. We could all do with a little spring cleaning of our mindsets while we are about it. How can we expect to be our best selves if we are carrying the baggage of a lifetime of accumulated guilt, negativity, and regrets?
There is absolutely no time like the present to be the best version of your self. Renewed, refreshed, and donning a bright new cloak of willingness and enthusiasm.
Easier said than done, you might say. It’s actually easier than you might think to renew your mindset…
- Make Time And Space For You By Eliminating Distractions
- You cannot do yourself a bigger favour than making room for your true self in your own life. Stop trying to live up to everyone else’s expectations of you, labour under the responsibilities placed on you by others, or spend every waking minute in the service of being someone other than who you were put on the is earth to be.
- Switch off the phone, computer, doorbell, and find yourself. Just for as long as you need as often as you need. Whether you use this time to meditate, explore yourself in the boundless outdoors, or at a specialized retreat, do it. This is where space comes into play. Find a space in which you are comfortable. Now that you have made the time and found your space, reconnect with your self-awareness.
- The Five-Second Rule
- Procrastination short circuits many of us. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow, right? If you knew that there was a sure-fire way you could stop yourself from sabotaging your own progress, would you use it? Well. Here is your opportunity.
- The 5-Second Rule gives you 5 seconds to use that window of courage that is yours to use. 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1! GO! 5-Second Decisions stop involving your brain, leaving action in the hands of your instinct and your heart. In this way you can no longer talk yourself out of making the decision. When you know you should do something, you come up with excuses why you should not. Counting down from 5 to 1 disables this ability. At 1 get to it and you will no longer have excuses not to succeed.
- Now that you know who you are and who you should be, write it down. Once you have it in black and white, you can’t overlook it any longer. This will keep you on track.
- Who am I, truly?
- What do I want to do with my time, and have in my life?
- Who do I want to share my journey with?
- What is keeping me from achieving my true heart’s desire?
- Now that you have the important questions, and are considering the answers, spend some time reflecting, and looking at areas you need to work on improving.
- Trust your Gut
- Intuition and instinct will serve you well on your path to the true you. Never disrespect these two built-in life preserves. You are the only one who can tell you when you are in touch with this invaluable inner voice. There is nothing more personal, which means that trusting your intuition is the ultimate act of trust in yourself.
- Watch out for stumbling blocks in your path. Obstacles to self-realisations include:
- Opinions of Others
- Unconscious Bias and Prejudice
- Learnt Behaviour
Well done! You have taken the first and vital steps to spring clean your mindset. Take the time to reflect on the path you are carving out for yourself in this newly tidied and reorganised space that is your life.
Keep your mind clean, just as you would your house once it is tidy and well-organized. Check your journal as often as you need, to keep yourself on the right track and your mindset uncluttered and fresh as a spring morning.